Thursday, September 25, 2008

If you look horrible, people will see you

We are moving this week, and my house is a disaster.

I think I am in worse shape than the house. I still manage to shower, but I have stopped any self improvement efforts. I let my hair fluff and I wear whatever is on the top of the pile. Usually its fine. I stay on my couch, or close to the bathroom and no one sees me in my state of disrepair. My sweet mother-in-law came to help the effort and she has done ALL the packing, and I have done all the vomiting. It is nice we can job share like that.
Today I dressed in my prettiest grandma night gown complete with a lace trimmed collar, light blue and pink check pattern and pearl snaps (thank you Markelle) and a pair of brown gauchos. I was rocking the lace, but the gauchos didn't go so well. I thought "who cares no one will ever see me. I look as good as I feel."
I dared to venture to the garage for a popsicle. The door just happened to be up and a white SUV was blocking the drive. The passenger could just see me crouching behind the boxes. They kept staring. I stared back like a deer in the headlights of an oncoming semi. I thought if I stared hard enough they would feel uncomfortable about staring and drive away. NO. They got out and came to talk to me.
The horror !
It turned out to be someone who worked for Mark's company. She just wondered if she could see the house. Sure, maybe I should put on a bra before we can be BFF, but come see, come see. I know she thought I was a sorry mess, and she kept staring at my lacey trim. (really I don't blame her, how could she not?) We wandered through the house as I apologized for living and she took in the square footage. Then she ran away.

I now send Mark for all Popsicles, and I packed my granny gown. I plan to lay low just in case other people come to take a peek at my freak show.

Moving and morning sickness are not happy friends.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Hilarious. That that is exactly how I felt that day you brought me dinner right after I had Max and my house was a disaster site. I have been mortified about it ever since. Thank goodness for mother-in-laws at times like these. I am in denial that you are actually moving though. I am not happy about it one bit!

Raskills said...

We need more people like you in the world.

Too many tight jeaned, perfect haired, lipstick wearing moms in this part of the neighborhood who feel it's more important to look perfect than get down on the floor and play with their kids. You know they aren't doing that enough because how on earth could they squat down in those jeans? And kiss their babies with the lipstick on?

Glad you're moving nearby so we can hang in the jammies. :)

-Liz

Kristina said...

I drove by your place today on my way to Palo Alto and saw all your boxes. Probably good I didn't stop after all :) Let me know if you need any help!

britt said...

lol...I'm so glad that marlene could get up there and help. I can't even imagaine being in your shape to move, it was hard enough in my only throw up in the morning, but want to all day, but can still function because i'm not glued to the bathroom floor. I'm sorry it's so yucky! but hey, like my friend said, as long as you feel yucky, you usually know everything is going ok. I have to tell my self that alot.