Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Prop 8

If you live in California you should know about Prop 8. It is the proposition that will either uphold marriage as being between a man and a woman or change it to include same sex partners. It is a huge deal here. I am voting to uphold marriage as being between a man and a woman, but the issue for me has been no where near cut and dried.

I have found there to be so many misconceptions about this issue. It has been slated as an anti-civil rights bill, as a way for conservatives to deny basic rights to liberal parties, and as simply anti-gay.
I don't feel like I fall under any of those, but it seems difficult to voice my opinion and not expect vehement opposition.

In truth, I am not opposed to equal rights to all who seek lasting unions with the person of their choice. I think that is how it should be. Making it all "fair" is easier said than done.

We have been waiting to receive a sign to display in our yard and last night we found out that the opposition had paid the truck driver to not deliver the signs to our area. SO LAME. The driver lost his job , and I lost a little faith in my freedom of speech being unopposed.

I am interested to see how this all pans out. There has been some serious division among many people I interact with at school. I am afraid that many cases we are not able to agree to disagree and keep relationships intact. Very sad.

November can not come soon enough. Get out and vote!

3 comments:

Raskills said...

Amen, sistah - People need to get out and vote. I know so many people (who I respect) who just don't bother to register and vote their opinions.

The prop 8 thing is a difficult one, Don and I have been struggling with it, but I think through prayer we'll decide what is right.

-Liz

Ashley said...

I can't believe the truck driver was paid off. That is despicable.

Nice post.

Anne said...

Another proposition about same sex marriage? It seems like just yesterday we were campaigning for prop 22 to pass. I remember our signs would get stolen off our front lawn all the time. I wish more people would just vote on the ballot rather than through rude behavior.

I'm glad you're enjoying your new house!